Monday, March 24, 2014

Back to the Future

   Diamonds, I want you to think of the person you were at the beginning of September. What did you think would happen to you this school year? What were the goals you had for yourself? Who were your closest friends? Who was the one girl you couldn't stand? What was your favorite song? Just think about all the things you knew, and everything you wanted to know.

   Now, being the eight-month-older version of yourself I would like you to imagine if you had a time machine and you could go back to visit this person that you were in September. What would you tell them?

   I had this thought a while ago, and I came up with a whole list of things I would tell myself about what happened in the past eight months. I had about twenty-five things I would've told myself  if I had a time machine (one of them was a warning about the weather that we got this winter), but after I looked over the list a couple of times I realized that the majority of the items began with the word  "Don't," and that kind of bothered me.

   I love who I am, and I know that to become the person I am I had to survive every single one of those "don'ts" so that I can be exactly where I am right now. We have to make mistakes, we have to have regrets, we have to hit rock bottom, doing these things are going to happen to us, but it makes us who we are.

   So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't focus too much energy on the past. Your future is the only thing you have control of.

  And I guess if I did get that time machine, I wouldn't go back to my past self with a list. I would go back and give her a big hug and tell her

                                          "You're going to fuck up. but that's okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment