Friday, May 16, 2014

Great Expectations

It's common knowledge that great expectations lead to even greater disappointments.

You've been there before. You get all worked-up about an event, a relationship, or a vacation; you imagine all the possible outcomes that are all in your favor.

And somehow you wind up less than impressed with what really happens...

My advice? Leave your expectations at the door when you walk in.

I know a lot of girls who had insane expectations for prom. They wanted to have the best dress, the cutest date, and the highest heels, but didn't get all of it in the end. Which led to a ton of complaints about the night, and if you ask me that's a big waste of money.

I walked into my Junior Prom with the only expectation to have fun, and I ended up having the best night of my entire life, with absolutely no drama. I had an amazing dinner with my friends, I got to party on the dance floor for three straight hours, and another girl was wearing my dress- and I complimented her on her great taste! Also, a little hint about prom, you don't need a date to have a good time.

So Diamonds, it's good to set high expectations, but don't let them get in your way of having a good time. Because years from now you're going to want to look back on this time in your life with fond memories not a constant list of grievances.

“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.” 
― Sylvia PlathThe Bell Jar

“Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.” 
― Margaret Mitchell

“Whatever it is you're seeking won't come in the form you're expecting.” 
― Haruki Murakami

“When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” 
― Donald MillerA Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment