Saturday, May 24, 2014

Where Did All the RomComs Go?

Just a few weeks ago I had to do what most blonde girls do, dye my roots.

While I waited for the color to set in I read an interesting article in a trashy female magazine. According to the article, Romantic Comedy films and Romance films are a dying breed, and I couldn't agree more!

The statistics show that five to ten years ago the summer films would be pouring with romance movies, but now the theaters might only be showing two or three at a time.

This ties in with a conversation I had with one of my classes the other day, we discussed the sudden public interest with super hero and action movies. We tried to reason that a lot of people might want to look up to these super heroes, but the most likely reason is just for entertainment.

Honestly? I think superhero-action-packed films are simply more realistic then a Romantic Comedy. Captain America is frozen for 70 years? Believable. Thor is a god and randomly appears during thunderstorms? I'll buy it. But some guy shows up at a girl's window with flowers and a boom-box? Hell no!

I think we are raising a generation of completely different women, and that is why we suddenly would rather watch The Avengers on a Saturday night than some Bridget Jones Diary.

Why?

Because we are so sick of waiting for the Prince Charming to rescue us in our real-life Romcom. We have more important things to do with our lives than wait around for some guy to spontaneously fall in love with our flaws. So why not incorporate that in the films?

Why not start writing about kick-ass women who take their lives into their own hands and don't let some man control all of their thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment